A hybrid shelter that blends tarp and tent qualities into a simple, versatile, super light package.
More than a tarp yet not quite a true tent, the Rajd (pronounced “ride”) is an excellent choice for those who favor a tarp’s gossamer weight, but don’t want to sacrifice the comfort of walls and a floor. Comfortably big enough for two, the Rajd is a veritable palace for the solo traveler – especially one used to the confines of many solo shelter solutions. And it weighs less than many tarps and bivy bags!
“Rajd” is named for the annual reindeer herd drive of the Sami people.
- Supremely light, remarkably roomy, and versatile, the Rajd is an outstanding – and more protective – alternative to a tarp for super light trips in the spring, summer or fall.
- The Rajd weighs about the same as many tarps, yet offers the protection of walls and a sewn-in floor.
- Its Kerlon 1200, with its 12 kilo tear strength, is stronger than most so-called “heavy duty” tent and tarp fabrics, and so will stand up quite well to demanding conditions.
- It can be pitched with trekking poles, branches, regular tent poles (which are available optional), or guy lines for ultimate simplicity and flexibility.
- One entrance of the tent can always be situated out of the wind.
- The Rajd offers effective ventilation from the no-see-um mesh panels in the top third of both doors and from adjustable eaves.
You can purchase poles to use instead of trekking poles when pitching your Rajd. The pole set for the Rajd includes two poles (115 cm x 13 mm) and a stuff sack to put them in. Poles can also be purchased individually.
If you want to pitch your Rajd by suspending it between two trees, you will need additional guy line. Our proprietary 2 & 3 mm red and white guy line cord is strong, light and easy to see. Its interwrap construction interweaves super strong Vectran cord longitudinally with polyester, producing a cord with no sheath to slip, near zero stretch, minimal water absorption, an easy-to-handle soft feel, high UV resistance, and a stout 60 kg (132 lb) breaking strength for the 2 mm and 80 kg (176 lb) for the 3mm.
Our sturdy and reliable line runners are available in 2 and 3 mm sizes, and are designed to work perfectly with our 2 and 3 mm guy lines. They lock securely, and are easy to adjust even while wearing mittens.
3 mm guy line and line runners come standard with all tents except for our Yellow Label tents which come with 2 mm guy line and line runners.
This tough ground sheet helps both to protect your tent’s floor from abrasion and to keep ground moisture from rising through the Rajd’s light weight floor. This footprint covers the full area of the Rajd.
Weight: 9 oz
Every new Rajd includes enough pegs to pitch it, but a spare peg or two can save you the frustration of losing one in the middle of a long trip. Very light yet very strong, our V-Peg is made from hardened aluminum, and it has specifically engineered thick yet light spine and sides to prevent bending. Its "V" cross section provides a fine balance of penetration in hard ground and holding capability in looser soil. Anodized a highly visible gold, the V-peg also has an integrated string loop for easy removal from the ground.
• 16 cm/6.3" • 11 g/0.4 oz • Set of 10 •$30
Made from solid Titanium, the super strong yet lightweight stinger can easily handle being pounded into hard ground, and its integrated string loop makes for easy removal.
• 16 cm/6.3" • 14 g/0.5 oz • Set of 6 •$55
So-named for its fluted square cross-section, our new X-Peg is built from extruded, then anodized, aluminum, and is designed to take on the most demanding usage. The X-peg’s 30 cm (12 in) length and burly construction make it an ideal option when you need maximum penetration and holding power in hard ground, and it is stout enough to be hammered into the ground, even with a light sledge. An open, upside down “L” hook near the top of the peg allows quick securing of guy lines, and a separate closed ring has an attached string loop to make removing the peg easier.
• 30 cm/12" • 78 g/2.8 oz • Set of 10 •$110